What’s new

Screen print with a soy wax stencil Tin print with mono printing over Machine embroidered panel: free motion stitched, heat gunned, cut up and re-assembled. Not finished yet. This started as a sun print, but the sun disappeared too early so I printed over with more of my plastic thingys (made from milk bottle plastic) […]

Is it finished?

Have just done my layer on the last RR fabric (Judi’s) I used shiva sticks brushed off the scalloped edge of a plastic doyley with an old toothbrush. The colours are white, yellow ochre & a brown/gold . The aim was to try and pull together the design – I felt the green motifs looked […]

More printing

This afternoon I continued with my printing – did some more on the piece from the previous post (bottom) and the 2 top ones. I decided I needed to make a ‘lines’ printing block to add another layer to my fabric quickly. The vilene stencil worked well but was very hard to see through, making […]

RR fabric done

Last Saturday at the Designing women meeting we had a silk paper workshop given by Judith Pinnell who’s written 2 books on the subject and has another ready to go. It was a fun workshop – I’ve made silk paper several times before but still learnt a few things. The above piece was done in […]

Bags & Banksia Print

My bags all packed, labeled and delivered today – Hurray! Now I have to get to work on my piece of Designing Women’s entry in the WAFTA exhibition. The print of Banksia leaves on my print table is for the back of it but it needs to be a bit more muted so I’ll probably […]

Batched and washed out

This is my layer on Donna’s fabric from the Complex Cloth group round robin (detail below). I haven’t managed to get the colours quite right in the photo but you can see what I’ve done. Susan screenprinted the smaller square design on with fabric paint, so I decided to keep with her theme and took […]

Playing with print

This was screen printed on white cotton drill with Permaset fabric printing ink. There are a few layers of print here, the dark squares were done with a torn paper stencil and the rest was printed through the fused plastic shown below. I also did some prints over the top by inking the plastic and […]

Flour paste screen

I made this screen in Jane’s workshop at Fibres West last week but didn’t get time to print it until today. You coat the screen with flour paste then scratch your design out with a wooden skewer. It’s a great low tech way to get a fine line stencil on the screen. It lasts for […]

New work

These are some of my fabrics in progress drying on the clothesline. Not finished yet, although the front one with the spots is getting there. They’re all very much experimental pieces and I’m enjoying the process. I’ve used thickened procion dyes for the printing. The above machine embroidered piece is from the “It’s About Time” […]

Top photo is my main piece for the Innovative stitches Group exhibition. I’m still deciding if it’s finished, almost there but maybe just a touch more needed. The design is inspired by fragments of bobbin lace found in the Batavia shipwreck off the WA coast.The 90 x 130cm cotton fabric was dyed with Napthols, silkscreen […]