Roy G Biv: July’s colour is Violet

I’m a little late again this month for Roy G Biv, a challenge that each month, focuses on a colour of the rainbow – July is Violet. After trawling through my photos, I chose these. To find links to more Roy G Biv blog posts with violet, visit Julie’s blog here & Jennifer’s blog here. 

catching up

I managed to get in another gelli printing session last week – some leaf prints & purchased stencils.  Photo 2 is done with kale seed pods. I made a thermofax screen from a photocopy of them too (below) Haven’t had a chance to print it yet. a new fabric collage which will be mounted onto a canvas […]

What’s on my messy desk today

I wanted to get another piece done for our exhibition – they have to be submitted by Saturday, but I’ve decided not to. It has to be 2 metres x 40cm, double sided, in eucalyptus colours. I have some silk I printed but I’m not mad on the colours and I think the size is […]

Geraldton workshop

I’m back from Geraldton, had a good workshop with great hardworking students. The workshop was held in conjunction with the WAFTA Mysterium exhibition some of which also travelled to Geraldton and was on display at the ACDC Gallery where the workshops were held. It was all part of G Fest, a regional, annual festival. We […]

Busy, busy!

K I’m getting ready for a workshop I’m tutoring for WAFTA on free machine embroidery on solubles & sheers. The flowers above are some of my samples. I’ve also made a finished piece which I’ve framed – it will be a sample and also for the Designing Women exhibition ‘Seams and Layers’ which opens 22rd […]

WAFTA exhibition: Mysterium

  Yesterday I did my roster and artist talk at the Mysterium exhibition at the Central Tafe Gallery in Perth. Its a fabulous show of WAFTA members’ work that really shows the diversity of ideas and skills in the group – well worth seeing if you’re in Perth. Its on until 16th November. These pics […]

Bag finished – pocket still missing

Here is my finished bag. All the materials except the lining, zip, magnetic snap closure, zip and flower embellishment, were from my challenge bag. I still have some things left: more fabric, tyvek and some small ceramic tiles which I will try to use in another project. The bag handles are made from machine embroidered […]

Journal cover

  I’ve been experimenting with techniques from Sherrill Kahn’s book ‘Creative Mixed Media’. The round embellishment on the right side of the embroidery is made from a painted cotton makeup pad. The yarns are glued on with matte medium. Front cover   Inside cover   Hair gel resist printed     brushed, cotton under-layer left, silk […]

Bits & Pieces

My niece is having her kitchen tea tomorrow – I printed a card for her (not finished yet) and thought I would print some matching wrapping paper – above. I made the lino blocks years ago so it was nice to get them out to use again. While in print mode, I added some colour […]

What I’ve been working on…

My lace hanging is done – here it’s shown on the Romeo water soluble plastic ready to be free machine embroidered. The circles were made first and stitched to Romeo to hold them in place. Then the areas in between the circles were embroidered in a marathon effort yesterday (finshed at 11.30pm) and the whole piece […]