Above: my latest piece from an online course I’m doing run by Dale (The Thread Studio) called Holey Moley. It’s done on heat transfer printed felt. The squares were joined by machine stitching, then the 6 small squares were appliqued on. The triangular holes were cut out then stitched around and across and I used a soldering iron to burn the small holes.
Today I got the rejection letter for my ‘Stitch Sampler Quilt’ (above & detail below) I wasn’t really expecting it to be accepted for a few reasons. I had very limited time so chose to finish this one rather than the one I was planning (I’ll do that one next year for another exhibition attempt) It’s not very large (51 x 76cms) – also I had one day to do the photo and get it sent off so just had to do the best I could with my own resources. But I’m pleased that I got it finished and submitted.
The idea came from some sewing machine stitch samples – very randomly done on calico – some I had used up paint on and stamped – not with any plan in mind but when I cut them up and arranged them on a sun dyed background fabric I quite liked them. The rest of the quilt was designed around them. I screen printed some more squares on the background, made a border from other printed/dyed fabrics that fitted in and machine quilted it with a design that echoed the shapes and colours.
Not sure what I’ll do with it now – might have to find a place on the wall to hang it. I actually quite like it – the chance element in the initial idea, the using up of scraps which would otherwise be thrown away and the folksy look of it. I can understand it wouldn’t appeal to everyone though.